Bulky waste collection – Camden Council


Bulky waste is any large item that can’t fit into a black-lidded bin or bag. Bulky items don’t just include furniture, carpets and appliances. There are also other types of bulky waste that you might be able to put out for collection on a different day – such as garden waste, plastics and metals.

What is bulky waste?

Bulky waste is bulky items of furniture and other items that you can’t put in your recycling or garden waste bin. It’s usually collected by the council at a different time to your regular rubbish collection.

You can put some types of bulky waste out for collection, but others need special arrangements so they don’t end up going to landfill. Find out more about what you can put out for collection, and how much it costs if you need to pay for it – or just send us an email using our online form (link).

How often do we collect bulky items?

We collect bulky items at the kerbside on a weekly basis. This means that if you have an item to dispose of, it will be collected within seven days of placing it out for collection.

If your waste collection day falls on a public holiday or weekend, your bulky waste will be collected on the next working day.

What items should I put out for collection?

You can put out the following items for collection:

  • Car tyres and tubes (no rims)
  • Electrical goods (e.g. fridges, freezers and TVs) – these must be disconnected from their power supply
  • Furniture and large household items (e.g. beds, wardrobes and sofas) – please ensure they are deconstructed if appropriate or wrapped in cardboard or plastic sheeting to prevent damage to other items on your property

You cannot put out items for bulky waste collection that aren’t listed above, including:

  • Household rubbish such as plastics bags or packaging material; broken crockery or glassware; food waste; garden clippings; rubble from building work etc.; liquids; soil/soil amendments

Why can’t I put my item out on the wrong collection day?

  • You will be fined.
  • Your rubbish may not be collected.
  • Your rubbish may be fly-tipped and you’ll have to pay for the clean-up costs, which can be expensive.

Does everyone in my household need to do this?

  • The person responsible for the rubbish should be the one to make sure it’s out for collection.
  • If you are not the person responsible for the rubbish and see it being put out by someone else, do not take it away from them.
  • If you are not sure whether something is bulky waste or general household waste, call Camden Council on 020 7926 1000 or email bulkywaste@camden.gov.uk

To avoid fines and penalties, make sure that you follow guidelines for rubbish and garden waste collections.

To avoid fines and penalties, make sure that you follow guidelines for rubbish and garden waste collections.

  • Put out your rubbish on the correct day. You can check with your local council or use their online service to find out what day it is. The date will be displayed on the calendar in your letterbox.
  • Put out garden waste on the correct day. This will be shown on your collection calendar as well as being given on a sticker attached to your bin lid or door hanger which should also contain information about what types of material are acceptable for recycling alongside a list of things that are not allowed in household bins including food scraps, textiles such as clothing or bedding but also packaging materials like cardboard boxes which can be recycled through other channels instead!


We hope that this article has helped you understand what bulky waste is, how often it can be collected and what items should be put out for collection. If you’re still not sure about anything, please call our Customer Service team on 0800 779 7688 or email info@andrews-waste.co.uk